Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bayscape Blog


Bayscape Blog
By Judy DeFiglio
Plant of the Month for July
As a garden designer, the hardest question to answer is “what’s your favorite plant?” There are so many to choose from and each one has something to love. So when I was asked to write this blog, I thought it would be hard to choose the first featured plant. Once I took a stroll through my garden, I realized the choice was easy. Black-eyed Susan or Rudbeckia, that golden yellow workhorse of the garden, is the real stand out this year. With this extreme heat and drought, many of my plants are having a tough time, their flowers withering in the hot sun, but not my rudbeckia. It just keeps putting on a show.
Rudbeckia fulgida is an easy care perennial, native to New Jersey. It can take full sun to part shade and average garden soil. This golden yellow flowers with a dark brown center grows 20 to 30 inches tall and bloom from mid- summer until frost. Once established it can handle drought and heat. If that isn’t enough it also attracts butterflies to your garden. The most popular choice is ‘Goldsturm’

No comments:

Post a Comment